Tuesday, February 5, 2013

ARC Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 464 pages
Format acquired: Paperback (ARC)
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication date: February 5th 2013
Source: Received from publisher for an honest review (Thanks, Ksenia!)
Pre-order the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)

Review:

I honestly didn't expect myself to love Scarlet so much. Especially when I heard about Wolf and Captain Thorne. I'm a firm Team Kai believer and when I heard that not one, but TWO new guys were going to appear in Scarlet to steal readers' hearts, I was skeptical. I'm not going to say that I left the Team Kai fanbase but I will confess my irrevocable (<-- Twilight word!) love for Wolf. Oh. My. Lord. Has there ever been a finer specimen? But enough fangirling, let's get to the more serious bits of this review. Oh, wait... What serious bits? I can't even criticize this book because it was such a well-made sequel.

Scarlet is a completely different character from Cinder, from their looks to their personalities and their love interests, as well. It wasn't difficult to fall in love with Scarlet, as soon as you read the first chapter, you'll already feel and admire Scarlet's tenacity and kindness as a person. She really stands for what she believes in and doesn't let a pretty face distract her from her goal, which is to find her missing grandmother. As soon as I read the part about her defending Cinder, even though Cinder's a cyborg and a Lunar, her character immediately started to appeal to me. She's the type of person who defends others because she believes it's right and not because she pities them. Her spirit and heart made her into such an inspiring and admirable character.

One of the other reasons I loved Scarlet so much is because of Wolf. Wolf comes off as vulnerable yet strong at the same time, and also very wary. He appears in Scarlet as a very odd person, like really, really odd. He's hungry a lot, he fights a lot yet he's also very sensitive. He's like a boiling pot of mixed feelings and personalities. Scarlet obviously doesn't trust him at first but as the book goes on, you'll really get to know him better. Pieces of his life will be revealed and you'll understand why he does what he does. Wolf is a very complex character yet very lovable character who will slowly seep into your heart and make you fall so hard for him. I honestly found myself falling in love with him over and over again. He just won't give my heart a break! Not that I want him too. I love his fierce protectiveness for Scarlet and how he's willing to do whatever as long as it helps her. Scarlet and Wolf's relationship just left me all gooey and melty with sweetness and authenticity. I want my own Wolf... He's such a sweetheart.

Oh. My. God. Queen Levana. Those two words are like the passwords for the missiles that will most likely cause the apocalypse. I don't know how it's possible but she became even bitchier in this book. She's managed to ruin everyone's lives again. I seriously just wanted to crawl into the book and wring her neck with a nylon rope, or maybe just burn the veil she always wears to reveal her true face! *maniacal laugh* But I actually live for Queen Levana's schemes because she's the one who brings drama and fear into the books.

I'd complain that there wasn't enough Kai in Scarlet for me but the amount of Wolf in it totally made up for the Kai-lackage. Prince-- I mean-- Emperor Kai was placed with the burden of finding the fugitives Cinder and Captain Thorne. I really felt bad for him in Scarlet, there's so much weight on his shoulders for someone so young. He may have people to depend on and consult with regarding political issues but no one is there to help him out with the turmoil in his heart. For example Emperor Kai misses Cinder but he knows he's not allowed to or how he keeps thinking about her and her glamoured face, how beautiful it was and if everything he felt for her was just manipulated by Cinder. I actually wanted to just stick my head into the book and tell Kai to just run away and be free or something. There's just too many lives being put into his hands and I just feel so bad for him. And the sacrifices he had to make? Killer.

I didn't really understand why people started switching from Team Kai to Team Thorne, I mean Thorne's a great guy but he isn't as great as Kai. I actually enjoyed his banter with Cinder and how he's pretty much the biggest flirt in the entire world. He's a very amusing character and dare I say it? Attractive too. I was insanely glad that Cinder was still in the book and also managed to use her new and very badass hand and foot. Cinder really evolved from a slightly timid girl who just absorbed whatever horrible things people said to her into a Lunar who's learning how to use her new powers but also not be sucked in by the temptation of continuously manipulating people. Cinder really grew as a character and I really loved that. I found myself rooting for her even more as the book went on.

Scarlet is everything you'd expect a sequel to be: better than the first (even though there's less Kai action here) and not overdone. Scarlet had a perfect blend of sweet and "aww"-worthy romance and heart-stopping action that will leave you just begging for more. Marissa Meyer was able to answer a lot of questions and connect a lot of different events and people in this book but also left a few things unresolved so that you'd still need to come back for more. I loved Scarlet and I don't doubt that you Cinder fans will, as well. Marissa Meyer has definitely done it again! *applauds* Oh and a little hint in what happens: a certain someone (who I'm sure everyone loved) will be making a huge comeback. *wink*


Rating:








Oh and just a dose of cuteness, here's my very own "Wolf" with Scarlet! Hihi! :3

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally getting this book! I really love Cinder and reading that you love the sequel makes me want read this book immediately! I need to meet that Wolf soon ;) I'm totally intrigued by this character, hopefully he's as awesome as Kai is! Nice review Louisse!


    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! :D I agree, you NEED to meet Wolf soon. I love, love, loooove him. Scarlet was a really good read and I actually don't know if I enjoyed it more than Cinder... I hope you like Scarlet though!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've been dying to read this book! :) Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! :) Awesome that you're excited to read Scarlet but what giveaway are you pertaining to? Haha!

      Delete