Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review: The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines

Title: The Vincent Brothers (The Vincent Boys #2)
Author: Abbi Glines
Pages: 304 pages
Format acquired: Hardcover
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published on: December 18th 2012
Source: Purchased from Fully Booked
Buy the book: Amazon / Book Depository

Hot romance is the cure for heartbreak in this sequel to The Vincent BoysGetting a boy to fall head-over-heels in love with you isn’t easy. Especially when he’s been in love with your cousin for as long as you can remember.

Lana has lived her life in her cousin’s shadow. Ashton always made perfect grades, had tons of friends, and looks model-perfect. And she’s always had Sawyer Vincent—the only boy Lana’s ever wanted—wrapped around her finger. But now things are different. Lana has a chance to make Sawyer see her, and she’s taking it. If only he’d get over Ashton—because Lana is sick of second-best.

Sawyer’s heart is broken. He’s lost his best girl to his best friend. And then Lana comes to town. Ashton’s cousin has always been sweet and soft-spoken, but now she’s drop-dead gorgeous as well. Sawyer doesn’t know if Lana can heal his broken heart, but spending time with her might at least make Ashton jealous.

What starts as a carefree fling becomes a lusty game of seduction. Sawyer and Lana may have different motives, but their scintillating hookups are the same kind of steamy. . . .

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)

Review:

This one gave me severe confusion, extreme reactions and tears. Yes, you read that right. I cried a little bit (note: bawl) when I read this second Vincent Boys book. Here, it is said in the alternating POVs of Sawyer and Lana. I found the story a little bit... stubborn. As if it didn't want to progress. I don't know if it's just me or it really is Miss Glines's writing style, but it seems as if the whole story revolved around just one problem. For the entire book. I mean, I know most books have only one main problem, but in this case, I felt that it could have been a half of the entire book problem, but it was made into a stretch, therefore making it kind of cliche or repetitive. I already figured out a cycle. Lana forgives-Sawyer regrets-Does something Ashton related. Repeat.

While I found the problem a bit too on-the-surface, I must say that even though the story or plot was overused, Miss Glines was able to make it exciting and thrilling for us readers to appreciate the story. The characters were clear, bright gems on their own and they didn't cloud each other out. I love how the characters were so well-developed so that they didn't clash with each other. It's like each character sticks to your brain. The framework and grounding of the story was very believable and the creation of characters was very detailed.

What I really loved in this book is how Lana had a makeover. Like from frumpy nun to smokin' sister. She literally stepped out of the shadow of her cousin, Ashton. What can I say, I'm a sucker for makeovers. I love how independent and strong and brave she is on the inside. While most people would withdraw and hide in depression, Lana went out there and tried to conquer her loneliness. She tried everything she could do to get a feel of that love she already has inside of her. I can tell that she's just waiting for her shot at things. When she starts hanging out with Sawyer, though. I found it a teensy bit annoying that she (Lana) noticed EVERY SINGLE THING that Sawyer comes in contact with. It drives me crazy. (So what if your knees bumped? That's great, but no one really cares. No offense.) While I believe that chocolate can calm me down, I don't think so right now. I really admire her spirit and forgiving personality, but we should always remember that there will be horrible people that will take advantage of that kindness.

Sawyer on the other hand, acted like a grade A douche. He was still really hung up from his past with Ashton and really couldn't bear to see her with Beau. It seemed like Lana was just a distraction or something. Sure, he was attracted to her, but it felt like it was only so because she was showing too much skin or was really gorgeous. It was like he still loved Ash and would do ANYTHING for her and for Lana, Meh. It's like she always came in second. Even in the end, when Ashton comes crying to Sawyer, he chooses Ashton over Lana and eventually ditches her. She even forgave him around thrice for doing so, but he still wouldn't change. Only then when Lana left was where he felt remorseful (this is where the tears come in). He started crying man-tears and punching holes in the wall and going kind of crazy. This part I felt extremely sad for him. But also for Lana. And I'm happy that this is a happy ending or else I would have ripped the pages away from the books and burn it.

V. Brothers is the ideal chick-lit read for summer. It doesn't really matter which book you start with, but if you start from the second one (like me) it is inevitable that information will be fast-forwarded to other people, too. (Especially if its a gossip or something.)

Rating:
.5


No comments:

Post a Comment