Thursday, May 15, 2014

Review: Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren

Title: Sweet Filthy Boy (Wild Seasons #1)
Author: Christina Lauren
Publisher: Gallery Books
Publication date: May 13th 2014
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



One-night stands are supposed to be with someone convenient, or wickedly persuasive, or regrettable. They aren’t supposed to be with someone like him.

But after a crazy Vegas weekend celebrating her college graduation—and terrified of the future path she knows is a cop-out—Mia Holland makes the wildest decision of her life: follow Ansel Guillaume—her sweet, filthy fling—to France for the summer and just…play.

When feelings begin to develop behind the provocative roles they take on, and their temporary masquerade adventures begin to feel real, Mia will have to decide if she belongs in the life she left because it was all wrong, or in the strange new one that seems worlds away.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)

Review:

Fact: Sweet Filthy Boy is my favorite Christina Lauren book to date (right above Beautiful Stranger). Christina Lauren's books have always been a guilty pleasure for me, they're like strawberries dipped in chocolate: decadent and sinful at the first taste but when you get to the strawberry part, you'll discover that there's a wildness to its flavor. Whenever I finish a Christina Lauren book, I always end up with a satisfied smile because, here's another fact, no one does sexy times better than those two. The scenes are tasteful yet dirty and they never cross that line that makes it gross or too dirty. Just perfect.

You just know that when a book is about staying in Vegas that things are about to get craaay... and things did.

When Mia wakes up in a very sticky situation (no pun intended... maybe) after a wild night in Las Vegas, she decides to throw caution into the wind and fly to Paris with Ansel, her French fling, hoping to escape for a while before her business school classes start. (I'd get into more details of what happened pre- and during Ansel but I really don't want to ruin anything for you.) I really liked Mia, I know I say this a lot about main characters but I genuinely like Mia. I feel like everything that comes out of her mouth and her actions mean something. Like, everything she does has a purpose; I think it's because she's a quite person in general and when she does decide to voice her thoughts, they're already thought out. But what I love about Mia is her ability to channel her thoughts into actions and allow herself to be more confident. She finds ways to express herself without really having to. What I love even more is that she's not perfect, she's scarred, she's nervous a lot and when it comes to Mia, there's also a lot of awkwardness but she does her best to fix that and show a more sure and comfortable side. It was literally like watching a flower blossom. Her staying in Paris allowed her room to grow and be more free, it was a beautiful sight to see. By the end of the book, I was completely in awe of Mia. I really was.

If I could, I would take Ansel and stuff him into my pocket and never let him out because he is just so friggin' adorable. Yes, he's an insanely virile man who oozes sex appeal and sex, in general but his charm takes him to a whole other level. I love how easygoing he is but as the book goes on, you also see a more serious and weary side to him. Ansel is multi-faceted and it was so fun to see the different aspects of his personality (but his carefree side is his default). The fact that Ansel is genuinely a nice guy makes me like him even more because with him, there is such thing as pretend. And the thing is, Ansel is a complete weirdo, he is so quirky that it's so cute. The stories that his friends shared made me legit LOL. Ansel brightened up the book and gave it its lightness. He is a big bundle of sunshine. I just want to bathe in his light.

The chemistry between Mia and Ansel was tangible, it was so evident that you could make a new element out of what was happening between the two of them. Their relationship wasn't an easy one, there were awkward moments when the other didn't know what to do and when they question whether they were too rash in their decision making or what, but you could also see the smooth flow between them. You just know that they fit together and that's what made Mia and Ansel so good together. And holy mother, their naughty scenes? I am seriously getting overheated here, and I don't mean the Philippine heat either. *fans self*

I didn't just love Mia and Ansel, the two main characters, I fell in love with their best friends too. I didn't get to see much of Finn and Oliver but what I read of them, I loved. They were fun, cute and sexy; and that's all I really needed to know. But Harlow and Lola, Mia best friends? They were so friggin' awesome. Their support for Mia and their protectiveness of her made me smile. They were real friends and their personalities in this book already cemented my decision to read their books too. You just know that their friendship is the type that will last forever, so great.

What's a Romance novel without a little drama? I am not going to say anything but... watch out. (Cue maniacal laughter!)

Sweet Filthy Boy brims with Christina Lauren's signature wit, humor and sexiness, except multiplied by a hundred. I can honestly say that Christina Lauren's books only get better and better; and that is so amazing because it so hard to find a co-authored book that is as well-written as this one. Their writing blends and goes together so perfectly and you won't get confused by the different voices in the story. I love Christina and Lauren's dynamic together and after reading Sweet Filthy Boy, I am more than ready for the rest of their upcoming books. Seriously looking forward to my next Christina Lauren fix... Bring 'em on! NOW. (Also, their books have the most gorgeous cover ever, seriously. They are so sexy but so classy. Love them!!)

Rating:
.5

No comments:

Post a Comment