Saturday, September 25, 2010

Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Title: Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1)
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Pages: 563 pages
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Published on: December 1st' 2009
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
(Summary from Goodreads)

Review:

Beautiful Creatures is a very unique and wonderful story. The story is quite long but not with the reason to make it long but to vividly show you what is really happening. Though, I found some parts quite boring I still enjoyed this book (but not as much as my mother did.) Beautiful Creatures was beautifully written and never missed a beat. The Southern atmosphere is very different from most of the books I have read since most of them are set in the city. I have never heard of Casters until I read this book and I must say, they made some wicked-awesome powers. I have read at least one book written by two people and Beautiful Creatures wasn't disorganized like the one I read, Beautiful Creatures was very well put together and had a really unique quality to the story. The fact that two people were able to clash their ideas together is amazing! Brava!

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! I have never heard of Casters until I read this book too. I felt in love with the characters! Thank you so much! Great Review!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene! :) The concept of Casters is, indeed, very unique and I am glad that someone has thought of it. All the praises given to Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia are so well-deserved.

      Delete